Grisons-style stuffed breast of veal
A hearty Sunday dish from the Grisons
(for 4 people)
800 g breast of veal with pouch cut in 50 g sliced Grisons Coppa
150 g Bündnerfleisch, unsliced (or Bündnerfleisch Julienne)
4 cocktail gherkins
200 g veal forcemeat
Salt and pepper
1 piece of celery
1 onion decorated with bay leaf and cloves
1 dessert spoon oil
4 dl stock
(Preparation time: 1 hour, recipe takes approx. 1 hour)
- Order the breast of veal from your butcher, and ask him to cut a pouch in it for the stuffing. Line it with coppa.
- Dice the Bündnerfleisch (or use Bündnerfleisch Julienne) and the gherkins and mix them together with the veal forcemeat (obtainable from your butcher). Fill the breast of veal pouch with the mixture and sew it up. Add salt and pepper and place in a casserole dish.
- Finely slice the carrots and celery and place around the breast of veal together with the decorated onion. Heat the oil and pour over it.
- Place inside the oven, pre-heated to 220 degree C and roast for 30 minutes, turning once. Add the stock and lower the temperature to 180 degree C. Cook for another hour, frequently pouring stock over it.
- Allow to settle for 5 minutes before slicing. Carefully carve, dish up and add sauce (remove onion). Serve with mashed potatoes.